Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Daily Grind (not Coffee)



Year 4-Day 76: Today, I am grateful for the gifts in the daily grind. 

This list is fabulous. I love the conversion from a "to do" or a "must endure" to so much more.  A grateful spot is not that hard to find.  It just takes time to sit back and re-frame the moment.  There is gratitude to be found in most things, if we look. 

Every season in life has these moments.  My adult children no longer wake me up early...they keep me up late...and I am grateful for the times when we get to really talk...despite the loss of sleep. 

In the daily grind, there are challenges to "re-framing" like instant human emotions or reactions of "fear, anger, fight or flight". God's training program helps us exercise our minds and our hearts to be ready for the moments when it would be so easy to get grumpy. Here is a great passage from Paul's letter to the Colossians:

"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,-Colossians 3:12

Back to this year's one little word - "vision".  Our "God Goggles", again, help us change our perspective.  Our perspective changes emotional response. Grateful eyes see beauty where others see fear, hopelessness, loss and too much to do. 

Today, write a list of those things that overwhelm and turn them to gratitude. How? Apply compassion, kindness, humility, meekness and patience. It can't hurt and it just might turn the day around.  

Since it is my "life verse" for the year...I can't resist throwing it in again.  You might end up memorizing it with me. 

And the Lord answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets so he may run who reads it. - Habakkuk 2:2
Envision the plenty to eat, not the dishes. Celebrate the indoor plumbing over the toilet that needs cleaning. 

The joy of crumbs under the table, if it is a result of a family meal...that hit home with me.  We did family meals most nights.  Such a sweet season, and I lamented the dishes and clean up too many times.  So today...I will refocus on today's tasks and this seasons "to do's" and find the grateful spot.  

Today, I am choose to be grateful for the gifts in the daily grind. 



No comments:

Post a Comment