Friday, February 24, 2023

A Favorite Comb

 Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 55: Today, I am grateful for my favorite comb.

If you have hair... you have one.... a favorite comb. Mine has special teeth to help me manage my curls when my hair is wet. It is one of those items in my morning routine that provides comfort with its familiarity. 

Combing your hair helps you to not look like a mess. I remember Mama Ina Mae saying that we had to take care of our hair. Comb it or cut it. Those were the options. 

I have so many memories of combing my sister's long hair. (The longest I ever managed to grow my hair out was  to my shoulders when I was a freshman in high school.) April had long hair most of her teen years. I would braid it and style it for her. Those were well spent hours. 

There is a scripture that reminds those who are fasting to comb their hair. Fasting is between you and God. Not for show or to impress other humans. 

“And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get. But when you fast, comb your hair and wash your face. Then no one will notice that you are fasting, except your Father, who knows what you do in private. And your Father, who sees everything, will reward you." -Matthew 6:16-18

The Father sees everything. He even knows our favorite comb. 

Today, I am grateful for my favorite comb.

No comments:

Post a Comment