Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Leftovers

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 46: Today, I am grateful for leftovers.

We celebrate leftovers at our house. It means we have lunch plans for the next day or the opportunity to split them and repeat the meal we prefer. Divide and dish it up. It is how we manage leftovers. 

I've never understood people not eating leftovers. As an adult, it has been a new challenge to turn leftovers into something better the second time around. 

Leftover chili turns into chili mac. Leftover rotisserie chicken turns into chicken and noodles. Left over taco meat has a plethora of chances for upcycling from nachos to  taco salad. 

I've often thought that  Jesus chose from some of the "leftovers" in the crowd. Zacchaeus and Matthew...  they were not fan favorites. Saul was arrogant, annoying and constantly causing trouble. I have a feeling his friend pack was thin before he had his change of heart after encountering Jesus. James and John were called the "Sons of Thunder." Not bad guys, but probably caused people to roll their eyes as they rumbled through their hometown. 

Each of us has our flaws. Jesus sees past them. He loves us and sees our potential and not our past failings or personality quirks. None of us is a "leftover" in His eyes. We are chosen and beloved. 

“Look at my Servant, whom I have chosen. He is my Beloved, who pleases me. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the nations." -Matthew 12:18

Chosen. Beloved. Society's leftovers but treasured by The King.

Today, I am grateful for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment