Friday, October 14, 2022

When Rain Brings Rest

 

Daily Gratitude Year 10-Day 287: Today, I am grateful when rain brings rest. 

Harvest is always exciting for those of us who come from farm roots.  In my lifetime, I have seen so many advancements in the machines and tools used to plant and then to harvest. The inside of a combine... the cockpit as I call it... is more complicated than some airplanes. I would have no idea how to run one. They are kind of amazing! 

This time of year, everyone on the farm is running full throttle. At the grain elevators, too. People are tired. Tiredness can lead to dangerous situations. Today, I am thankful for the rain that will force some to rest and restore before they head back out. 

When a full harvest is before you and the rain is coming down, it can be stressful. October is slipping away. The pressure feels real. Rain brings about a pause in the push to get the crop in. 

I love that Jesus used to remind the disciples to rest. He, himself, would go into wilderness places for a chance to take a deep breath from the demands of those around him. Perhaps, a good rain meant they would rest a little longer in the home of a friend and eat another warm meal. 

Don't fret the rain. Choose rest when it is granted. This verse is a comfort on so many levels. 

Some carry the pressures of harvest. Others feel the weight of the loss of a spouse,  a parent, a sibling or a dear friend. A new baby, as precious as they are, keep us from resting.  In all of these seasons... we can hand our burdens to the one who has the strength to carry them. He will give us rest. 

"Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." - Matthew 11:28

The rain continues to fall gently on the window, the patio and pavement. We whisper a prayer of surrender. Surrender to His will, His way and lean into His sheltering arms. 

My brother, Matt, lost one of his best friends in a farm accident this time of year several years ago. Vaughn was one of a kind.  Vaughn was famous for saying, "It'll be alright." 

Tonight, as listen to the rhythm of the rain, I can almost hear it singing, "It'll be alright." Take the opportunity to rest when it comes. 

Today, I am grateful when rain brings rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment