Wednesday, October 5, 2022

The Eternal Rock

 

Daily Gratitude Year 10-Day 278: Today, I am grateful for  the eternal rock. 

I like rocks. As a kid, I had a collection I received as a birthday gift. The sulfur smelled. The quartz was so pretty. Some were beautifully colored and others had interesting layers. Rocks have always been found treasures for children of all ages. If you found a fossil in a stone, you felt like a true archeologist. 

 My favorite rock is a diamond. It is true. Clear stones go with everything and the colored ones are beautiful, too. They are durable and sparkle. They are beautiful. 

The scriptures are full of rock references. The landscape of ancient Biblical times was full of rocks and caves carved in stone. Thousands and thousands of years go by and the rocks still stand. 

"in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal." -Isaiah 26:4

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock." -Matthew 7:24

A conversation with a friend got me thinking about the concept of eternity. How long is forever? How does our human mind conceive it? "He has also set eternity in the human heart" according to Ecclesiastes 3:11. Yes, he did!  We can talk about it, imagine it, but can we really grasp the length of eternity? 

There are so many mysteries in His Word to uncover. There are so many concepts that stretch my understanding. There are times, my head hurts. Then I remember, it is the faith of a little child that pleases our Lord in a most special way. 

We can go to "the rock" when we need shelter, strength or safety. 

Today, I am grateful for  the eternal rock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment