Monday, June 10, 2024

Fireflies

 

Gratitude Year 12- Day 162: Today, I am grateful for the firefly (or lightning Bug as we often call them in the Midwest).

They have been evening visitors already this year. I love watching them giving off their soft glow in the cool of the evening. I find them fascinating, as I do any creature that glows. 

As children we would capture them over the course of an evening, and then set them free. In an old Mason jar or in our hands, we were delighted  every time they lit up. 

Bioluminescence is the production and emission of light by living organisms. A fancy name does not take from the wonder of it all. From age 5 to 85, the firefly captures our attention. 

I thought of this verse:

"Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light." -Genesis 1:3

He hung the sun and knows each star by name. 

"Let Heaven and nature sing..."

Today, I am grateful for the firefly (or lightning bugs as we often call them in the Midwest).

No comments:

Post a Comment