Saturday, June 1, 2024

Listen & Silent

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 152: Today, I am grateful for the observation that "listen" and "silent" are spelled with the same letters. 

I love this observation. We have to be silent to listen. Jesus would go into "the wilderness" or into a garden spot to pray. Were His chats with The Father more talking or listening? We do not know the answer, but we do know it was His habit to pause for prayer. 

This is one of my "life verses" and has been for a long time. The second half of the verse is not as popular and is quoted less frequently:

“Be still, and know that I am God!
    I will be honored by every nation.
    I will be honored throughout the world.” -Psalm 46:10

When we are still, we are more likely to hear his voice. Not necessarily in the audio version, but in the way that you hear some song you Earworm keeps singing in your head. 

Music is a huge part of my life. It is important to me in worship. Still, for real conversations with the Living God who hears our prayers, I like silence and sometimes the darkness of the night, too. No distractions.  

We can listen better when we are silent, and we are silent when we are better at listening. 

Today, I am grateful for the observation that "listen" and "silent" are spelled with the same letters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment