Thursday, June 13, 2024

The Storm and The Sunshine

Gratitude Year 12- Day 165: Today, I am grateful for the storm and the sunshine.

"She could have taken the world by storm... but she chose to use her sunshine."

What a great thought!

Some people take the world by storm. They rock the boat. The ground shakes when they pass by from the force of their footsteps.  Sometimes, a little storm is welcome and a little thunder gets our attention for a warning.

Others choose to bring the sunshine with them. They warm a room with their presence. They spread light wherever they go. 

Earworm is singing. "This little light of mine. I'm gonna let it shine. This little light of mine. I'm gonna let it shine..." 

That makes me think of my little sister, April. I think she could play on the piano because our childhood pastors, "Grandpa Russell and Grandma Ruth Dickinson" gave her a book that included teaching her how to play it on the piano. April did not have much interest in playing the piano, but it was a great little book that sparked her interest for a bit.  

The Dickinson's were a precious pair. They were both ordained ministers in the Nazarene Church and taught my Dad and Mama a great deal about walking with Jesus. They both participated in our wedding ceremony. He facilitated our vows and she read the most beautiful prayer. 

Russell would preach a little thunder, and Ruth was always sunshine. We needed both. 

I am grateful that they were a continued presence and example in our lives until they fulfilled their mission here and were called home. Both lived to be over 90. He was almost 100. They lived their lives loving God and loving people. 

I smile when I think about April's joy in greeting them at their heavenly homecomings. Dad's reunion was  just a blink behind theirs. (Now my Earworm has switched to Johnny Cash... "Will the circle be unbroken? Bye and Bye, Lord, bye and bye." )

"And there will be no night there—no need for lamps or sun—for the Lord God will shine on them. And they will reign forever and ever." -Revelation 22:5

Today, I am grateful for the storm and the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment