Thursday, June 20, 2024

Wisdom in Children's Literature

Gratitude Year 12- Day 172: Today, I am grateful for the beautiful wisdom in children's literature

Thank you to Vicki Horn for sharing today's inspiration. 

The Velveteen Rabbit, Winnie-the-Pooh,  and Charlotte's Web are a couple of examples of children's literature that offers wisdom for the ages. 

“‘Why did you do all this for me?' Wilbur asked. 'I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you.' 'You have been my friend,' replied Charlotte. 'That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die...By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that.’” 
~From Charlotte's Web by Elwyn Brooks, “E.B.” White

Charlotte's heart is pure and Wilbur can see it. Their story always tugs at my heart. He does not feel worthy of her friendship. She wants to make the most of her limited days. Their days are woven together for only a brief time, but it changes both of them. 

Charlotte spreads love because she can. Wilbur takes it all in. Then, Wilbur pours love into Charlotte's children. Helping others is good for our souls. Charlotte experienced it. Wilbur did, too. I love that one of Charlotte's children was named "Joy." Wilbur felt the deep loss, but then "Joy" came and stayed. 

Wilbur would always miss Charlotte, but his sorrow was softened by the circle of life continuing on. 

"Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning." -Psalm 30:5b

When reading to the children in your world, look for the simple truth found in their literature. 

Today, I am grateful for the beautiful wisdom in children's literature

No comments:

Post a Comment