Saturday, June 15, 2024

Dad Taught Hospitality

Gratitude Year 12- Day 167: Today, I am grateful for my Dad (and Mama) teaching hospitality. 

Happy Father's Day! 

This picture is of three of my favorite guys. My little brother, Matthew, Dad, and Jim LaFratta. These three guys were by our side on our wedding day. 

I've posted different pictures of Dad on Father's Day, but there is something about this one that captures his spirit. 

Dad's family and his friends were important to him. You can feel the camaraderie in this picture. 

Jim and his beautiful bride, Sissi, were more family than friends. They were brothers in Christ and full of stories. Matt, April, and I listened for hours when they were around. One of the things I loved most was the way they would learn from each other when they were together. 

Jim loved to talk about Sissi's cooking. She would make authentic German dishes you never forget. Mama delighted in Sissi's company and shared her kitchen with an open heart, as was her way. The conversation never lagged. Dad loved people... and loved to feed them at the farmhouse table. 

Like Dad and Mama, I love extras around the table, especially when I have the time to prepare for guests, although Dad and Mama never worried if the house was tidy. Their hospitality came from their desire to share what they had with others. A table with ample food, welcome family, and special guests was one of their greatest joys in life. 

A special guest could be anything from a seed salesman, pastor, hired hand, neighbors,  Uncle Mel, or college kids from Olivet. I am grateful that hospitality was "caught" as much as it was "taught." Matthew, April, and I watched and learned the joy of making room at the table and "room in the inn." 

"Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay." - 1 Peter 4:9 (NLT)

Today, I am grateful for my Dad (and Mama) teaching hospitality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment