Saturday, June 22, 2024

The Martha's

Gratitude Year 12- Day 174: Today, I am grateful for the Martha's. 

"Lord, I want to be like Mary today, but can you please invite Martha over to clean my house?" 

This cracks me up. I love Martha. I understand her. She is tired of doing the work while Mary enjoys the company. 

We need the Mary's and the Martha's of this world. They are both treasured and precious to Jesus. Jesus knows his days are limited. Spending time with him was more important than cleaning the counter, filling the honey jar or baking bread.

 They had no clue as to what Jesus would do for their family and their souls. They could not fully understand what was coming. They were caught up in the moment of a house full of guests, including and especially Jesus. Imagine the excitement... and a bit of pressure.

This passage came to mind. It is not the one where the story of Jesus's visit to Martha's house is told, but it seemed to fit. 

"The LORD doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” -1 Samuel 16:7b

We all need reminders. Mary chose better, but I am grateful for Martha, too. 

Today, I am grateful for the Martha's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment