Saturday, June 8, 2024

Ordinary Moments

 

Gratitude Year 12- Day 160: Today, I am grateful for ordinary moments. 

There is a large measure of joy in ordinary moments. -Susan Gale Wickes

I love this quote for the morning and at bedtime. We can face each ordinary day with joy if we remember to savor the things that are routine. Routine does not always mean boring. 

What about that first cup of coffee? Or the bliss of the fragrance of freshly cut grass? The scent of rain on dry ground is another ordinary but extraordinary scent. Reading a favorite Psalm, a kiss from a spouse, or a hug from a child are a few more joys in our ordinary days.

Satan is a thief of joy. Not time. Not circumstances. Not the amount of money in our bank account. The enemy of our souls steals our joy by attempting to convince us that we deserve something more, better, or sooner. He feeds impatience and delights in our frustrations. He whispers discontentment. 

I think of our Lord and the scripture that reminds us of His joy in the redemption of one soul. 

"“If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them gets lost, what will he do? Won’t he leave the ninety-nine others in the wilderness and go to search for the one that is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he will joyfully carry it home on his shoulders. When he arrives, he will call together his friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’" -Luke 15:4-6

For Him, it never gets old. When the lost if found, all of Heaven rejoices. When a faithful one finishes the race at Heaven's gate, all of Heaven rejoices. Those are extraordinary moments prefaced by many "ordinary" days of seeking His face. 

I have to confess, I giggled when a thought crossed my mind. What if we replaced the words "lost sheep" when we find ourselves finding something lost? "Rejoice with me because I have found my lost keys or lost phone." 

Savor, celebrate, and delight in the small, mundane, and the ordinary moments of the day. Joy is sure to follow. 

Today, I am grateful for ordinary moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment