Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Lipstick


Daily Gratitude Year 4- Day 207: Today, I am grateful for lipstick and other good distractions.

Mama Ina Mae always said that you could throw on a little lipstick and blush and be good to go. I would trade the blush for mascara. To each his own. The point is that if you highlight a few good features...the bad hair day is a little less noticeable. 

Again...I think she had a good point. She likely learned it from Grandma. We can't control everything, but we can accentuate the positive. Don't you love this image I found on Pinterest? 

It is easy to become overly focused on what is wrong. We forget to maximize the things that are right. Human nature would rather we look down than up. We tend to frown to the ground instead of up to the God of the Universe. The One who keeps us delicately spinning in our little orbit a perfect distance from the sun. The one who has many lives to keep beyond mine, but I...we... get to be a part of His story. How amazing is that? Trials come, but they also go. 

 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? ince you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
“Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith!  And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.  For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.  But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well." -Luke 12:25-31
My young friend Ben has a "life verse" that has become one I claim, too. Sometimes, what makes no sense is a test of trust. Do I trust him? With just the good, or the tough stuff, too. 
Our Lord is actually quite amazing at comforting us through the darkest of days. I know this from first hand experience. I may not like the situation, but it is what it is.
Thank God, He is who HE IS (you know...'I AM"). I love a "be" verb.  When struggles come, I love this verse:
Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so,I will let down the nets.” Luke 5:5
It isn't what I would have chosen, but "because you say so, I will." Love that thought! Thanks Ben Geiger.
Life has mundane moments. Troubles. Bad days. Bad hair days, too (which are really not life threatening). To grow to a place of offering up worry and submitting to a sovereign God is a goal. It is a destination. It is evidence of faith.  
It is a process and he faithful to forgives when we fail. He smiles when we succeed. He looks past the mess and to the heart of the person. The world is not as loving, but there is always lipstick and mascara.  
Today, I am grateful for lipstick and other good distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment