Sunday, July 3, 2016

Love Your City



Daily Gratitude Year 4-Day 183: Today, I am grateful for reminders to "love the city you are in."
How often do we think about truly investing in the place we are planted? The right here and the right now... and not dreaming, planning and preparing for the next place... or the next season.
Perhaps we all need the occasional reminder to be present and fully engaged in this day. Today is a gift. We have a future, but what about today?
"But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare." -Jeremiah 29:7
These are Jeremiah's words to a people in exile. Do the right thing where you are. Embrace that place. He, also, he speaks of the future.
Jeremiah 29:11 is a favorite to memorize. I love it, too. How affirming to hear "I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans for hope and a future and not destruction."
It is a verse full of encouragement ... but the chapter contains wisdom beyond the encouragement.
What we often forget is the qualifiers in verses 12- 13: "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."
Learning to bloom where we are planted. Looking with hope to the future, not just with hope but with prayer and seeking His face today... in the present. In this city. Today.
Today, I am grateful for reminders to "love the city you are in."

No comments:

Post a Comment