Saturday, July 30, 2016

Wait Is An Action Verb

Daily Gratitude Year 4- Day 210: Today, I am grateful that "wait" is an action verb.

This post took root in a devotional called "KAWA"  from Wilna Furstenburg (Dayspring Devotionals). She is one of the Bible Journaling artists I have discovered at Illustrated Faith. I have been inspired by her work. The image is from Robert W. Williams. 

Image from Robert W. Williams
If you have been reading long, you know I love words. I adore punctuation for the power it gives simple words. A semicolon makes us pause and it can even make my heart sing. Today, I am reviewing a popular passage. In it I find new meaning and new strength.Why? Because, I have learned that "wait" is an action verb. 

Isaiah 40:31 is easy to memorize, because we see it everywhere. For me, it has felt overused. Shame on me. God's word cannot ever be overused. But, we are warned we must not twist it, add to it or take away from it! We cannot overuse it and His face is found in His truth, His breath and His heartbeat. We can't hear Him speak if we spend no time in The Word. The more we read - the more we want to read. It is like digging for gold... only it is Word Fever. Can't get enough. 

but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;  they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. (ESV)
These words from the prophet Isaiah are full of hope. In truth, it is best served in context for the hope of the scripture expands with the surrounding verses. Mama Ina Mae says sometimes my posts are too long, so I will try to keep this short and maybe come back to the "big picture" later. Still, the verse feels so full this morning, I hate to neglect any of the sweetness. 

Read it again - but pause after the semicolon. (Really stop and wait...I mean it) THREE semicolons and one bold statement with a period. 

How many times to I try to make things happen on my own and I get in the way of His perfect plan? It says "but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;"

Wilna's devotional mad me curious. Off to the concordance we go. Strong's 6960 shows "qavah" as the Hebrew root for this passage. It rhymes with "java" only the emphasis is on the "va". That works for me. Kava and java go together when it comes to waiting on the Lord. I need a coffee cup that says: Java, Kava and Jesus...the only way to start the day. 

The definition of wait from the original text does not mean sit there and do nothing. What? It's true.  Check it out for yourself at blueletterbible.org or in a Strong's Concordance it is H6960. Qavah...or "Kava" to my American English...means to wait expectantly and with eagerness. Not to wait with boredom, but to wait on or upon. It literally implies to bind together or intertwine by twisting. While we wait, we twist, braid and intertwine with our Lord. Like a rope!

The first image that came to me was a child wrapped in-between a parents leg in fear or uncertainty. Or, the terrified little one that wiggles their way into mom and dad's bed ...between them... in the midst of a thundering storm. 

Then, came the image of a spouse, friends or family that are so entwined in our lives we cannot separate them out. They are a part of our being, wrapped around us and we cannot be separated. We go together in good times and in bad. Like a cozy hand-tied quilt or a warm blanket. 

When we wait on the Lord...the kava kind of wait... we wrap ourselves around him, clinging to Him. We seek to be in Him. Hearing His thoughts and letting His thoughts become a part of ours. That is where strength is born. Waiting on the Lord...clinging onto Him and seeking to be in Him... yields divine strength. 

Alone...I am weak and anxious. He is strong. When I bind myself to Him, strength increases. Without him we can do nothing. In him, we can weather the worst and most terrifying storms.  He is our hiding place. Kava is an action verb. Those who "kava" renew their strength. 

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12


Let's pray. 

"Lord, teach me kava. Teach me to wiggle my way in to your being so that my spirit is strong and calm and sure. Your compassion never ends, but the trials of this world are real. 

Today, a local family...woven deeply into our community, our faith community and our hearts... is hurting. They are deeply loved. They are living with the reality this world's trials and illnesses. Grant them the strength of kava. Give those around them wisdom to love them well. Protect them from careless words and send them your strength in just the right ways.Guide the words and actions of those closest to them. Grant gentle mercies in the trials.


Let us  seek to be so tightly woven that nothing can separate us from you. Let us clearly hear your voice when the Spirit whispers our name. Our hope is in you, Lord. Only in you. - Amen"

This Isaiah 40:31 passage is not overused.  For me, it was misunderstood. I have new eyes for old words.

Today, I am grateful that "wait" is an action verb.


No comments:

Post a Comment