Monday, March 12, 2018

Greening Grass

Image By Dawn Cain from Pinterest
Year 6-Day 71: Today, I am grateful the grass is getting greener.

It happens this time of year. The grass starts to green up again after the winter's sleep. Soon, lawns will need mowing, but not quite yet. It is a fresh spring green that has always been one of my favorites in the Crayola Big Box of crayons.

Spring will soon be sprung. How sweet it is to be in the season between, knowing that the worst of winter is behind us. New life is waiting to pop up from ground as it thaws.

Spring is one of my favorite seasons, as I don't typically mind a little rain. New life is fills us with hope and wonder. If I life to be 100, I will never lose my awe of spring as it greens.

Following up on yesterday's post, the season spring and fresh water springs are a pair of homonyms that are spelled and sound the same but mean different things. Still, I think they make good companions. To find a thirst-quenching fresh water spring is to discover life giving waters. Spring, the season, is all about new life.

The 23 Psalm is a word picture of green meadows and quiet waters.

The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. -Psalm 23:1-3 

I used to think of this scripture as a "funeral Psalm" and it certainly  can be that, but it is so much more. It is about the comfort and care of a good shepherd who loves his sheep with tender mercy. Max Lucado's "Traveling Light" unwraps it verse by verse and illuminates the hope and light woven into the words. 

“What you have in your Shepherd is greater than what you don’t have in life.” -Max Lucado, Traveling Light

We have a shepherd who leads us to the green grass and stays with us for the journey. He leads us to fresh springs and still waters. The thought of it makes me long for barefoot days. Still, I don't want to forget to enjoy the transition. I don't want to miss the pleasure of this moment. 


Today, I am grateful the grass is getting greener.


No comments:

Post a Comment