Sunday, March 11, 2018

Homophones

Year 6-Day 70: Today, I am grateful for my favorite homophones, the sun and the Son.

Homophones are the best for word play. Homophones are a type of homonym that sound alike and have different meanings, and have different spellings.

I find that there are times homophones are more connected or related than they might initially seem, such as the sun and the Son.

CS Lewis sums it up so well.

"I believe in Christ, like I believe in the sun - not because I can see it, but by it, I can see everything else."

The Son and the sun give us light and life.

I savored yesterday's morning's sun while eating breakfast with my Randy in the front room, where a big window lets the light flood the space. Oh the joy of a warm sun, as our home on the planet moves toward spring. The light doesn't just illuminate the room, it fills it with a sense of hope, promise and comfort. I love light. The light shed into our lives by The Son creates some of the very same feelings. Isn't it interesting they are homophones?

The difference is that the sun doesn't always come when I call or need to see it shine, no matter how I might long for it show it's light. The Son, our Jesus, he never fails. He always comes close when we call. He left us his Holy Spirit to comfort and guide. His light never fails to illuminate the confusion in our lives, if we call on his name. He is always reliable. He is always good. He is always light and love to the redeemed and those who call out to him with sincere hearts.

"The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone." -John 1:4

He has been lighting our lives and brokenness across the generations. Look at Job's declaration:

"God rescued me from the grave, and now my life is filled with light." - Job 33:28 

Job knew more suffering than most of us can imagine, yet he remained faithful in his brokenness. God rescued him. The book of Job is full of gems. There is much we can learn from his example of faithfulness. 

"Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” -John 8:12

A light that leads to life. The Son is like the sun. 

Today, I am grateful for my favorite homophones, the sun and the Son.


No comments:

Post a Comment