Monday, March 5, 2018

WCIC

Year 6-Day 64: Today, I am grateful for WCIC (91.5 FM).

Yesterday, we discussed worship in Sunday School with my people. 

I can't tell you how much my heart longs for Sunday Mornings and the intimacy of our little group. It is a mixed age group and together we share, grow and dig deep into what it means to live out the great commission together and in our community outside the church doors. We are all works in progress. 

Some are quiet thinkers who always "wow" me when they speak. (I worry I talk too much.) The fact that we are such a mixed range of ages makes it even sweeter. Several are raising babies and small children. Others are in the experienced grandparent zone. Ane, everything in between. I love these people. We lift each other up.

The question of the day was "What Bible passage is an example of extreme worship?" To address this, we had to define worship. Look at the definition:

"Worship:  To honor with extravagant love and extreme submission. "

Isn't that great? A measuring stick to define if it is really worship. Discussion was great and there were amazing examples offered up. The ultimate, though... was Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane with his disciples on the night he was taken to before he would take the cross. He honored the Father's plan, not because he wanted to... but because he loved extravagantly and practiced extreme submission. He even healed the soldier's ear when Peter cut it off. His last miracle before the crucifixion was healing the one who should be his enemy. 

Crazy, right? Crazy love.  

How do we get in the worship zone? It is different for all of us, but many are impacted by music. One of the most loved and quoted books in the Bible is the Psalms. Poetry is often set to music. 

Most everyone has a genre they like. Pop is one of the most popular. WCIC is one of our local Christian radio stations. (WPEO is the other at AM 1020, FM 97.7 or 103.9 is the other.) Christian radio is worship for me, every time I get in the car... and as I prepare for the day after my daily gratitude and devotion time. 

What we pour into our heads and hearts is what we get out. Like I said, I love music. I enjoy some more than others but nearly every genre has a song that grabs my heart. Now, I still enjoy some of the best of secular music when I hear it, but I have found that it isn't good for my soul in the same way.  It doesn't lift me up and sustain me the way Christian music does. 

WCIC is a mix of artists and the message is always one of hope, help and God's faithfulness, even on hard days. The news is reported, but they do not dwell upon it. It is important to be informed of what is happening in the world, but not consumed. The message of the hope we have in Jesus shines from the WCIC tower. 

Again... I went to look up a different scripture and found this to be the "Verse of the Day" at BibleGateway. I always feel like God is throwing in His choice of scripture when it fits a daily post. He never fails to trump my choice with his better one. Here it is. 

"And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up." -Deuteronomy 6:6-7 

When you are on the road!  Perfect for a radio post, right? Now, the verse I wanted to share:

He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord. -Psalm 40:3 

He gives us a new song to sing through some amazing artists. The positive message is a life force. It changes my days... and it can change yours, too. 

If you are in Illinois, check out WCIC over the air waves or online.  When I can't get WCIC, I  go online to get K-LOVE. WONU back home is dear to my heart, as it was my chance to actually "do" Christian radio back in the late 80's. I did morning news and "Afternoon Praise" for a season. I learned to love the ministry of Christian radio way back then, and the responsibility of those making it happen. It is truly a ministry. WCIC works hard to stay true to the cross of Christ and shares the gospel every day that gives us hope in these days that can be dark. It is hope and light pouring from the radio. 

The image is from Pinterest. This is Matthew West, a favorite artist of mine. His music always touches my soul. This song is "Child of the One True King". I dare you to listen to it and not feel loved and treasured. It will make you dance if you aren't careful. 

Today, I am grateful for WCIC (91.5 FM).







No comments:

Post a Comment