Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Cool Breezes

Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 157: Today, I am grateful for cool breezes.

When you skip spring and dive into summer, I am finding great delight in cool morning and late evening breezes. The heat of the day burns off and you can smell the freshness of the dew. 


Refreshing... like a drink of chilled water... is the little shiver that comes when the day is still cool. 


I am thinking about it because Princess Daisy Mae had us both us last night.  She is five months old today, so still very much a puppy. First she was hot. Then, after we both got up with her, we figured out she was cold. She slept under the covers for the rest of the night.  Puppies and babies are not that different. She didn't savor the treat of the cool breeze. She just wanted to be comfortable. 

There are times I am not so different than Daisy Mae. God sends me the winds of change and I fight them. I prefer my comfort and comfort zone. It reminds me of one of my favorite passages from I Kings.

And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper. And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”-1 Kings 19:12-13

Elijah, at the time, was hiding for his life. He had embarrassed and ticked off King Ahab and Queen Jezebel. He did have their attention, but they wanted him dead. Hiding seemed like a good idea at the time. 

When the Lord came to Elijah... the earthquake and fire gained his attention, but that is not where heard his voice. No... it was the sound of a low whisper. More of a gentle breeze. 


Sometimes, God wants us to change direction. He needs to get our attention. We can be fearful, but he would rather we pray and wait. The earthquakes and fires gain our attention, but he prefers to speak to his loved ones in intimate whispers. Like a cool breeze on a day destined to be hot. 

Today, I am grateful for cool breezes... and God's whispers.

No comments:

Post a Comment