Sunday, June 3, 2018

Sit With The Broken


Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 153: Today, I am grateful for those who sit with the broken. 

As many know, my word for the year has been savor. It is a word that can take many twists. From pure delight to tasty meals, it is good to reflect on what we cherish and savor. 

The most precious of gifts is family and friends who are with us in then tough times as well as our celebrations. Life can be so full that we can experience both great loss and great joy in a blink. 

The world promotes self esteem and self importance. Many chase fame and fortune at the cost of love, family and faith. Evidence? Reality shows. The pressures for fame fortune and success. But, do those things bring real joy?

This quote grabbed my heart and won’t let go:

“I’m not interested in whether you’ve stood with the great. I’m interested in whether you’ve sat with the broken.”

I have a soft spot for elephants, so I love this image. Yet, I think the quote embraces so much more. I think of those in helping professions that require service, committee and tenacity. They’re dedicated to lifting up... and sometimes simply sitting with the broken. 

Nurses, CNA’s and social workers are at the top of my list right now. Also, the house keeping staff and dietary in any healthcare facility. 

Mom has had some health struggles this spring. I appreciate the doctors... but they come and go. The other support staff are the ones offering daily encouragement and hope, even when their jobs require unpleasant tasks. 

Our veterinarians help us do the loving thing for our pets, when it is time to say goodbye too a beloved pet. They grieve with us and offer affirmation that the loving choice is not always the easy one. 

The one who sits with the lonely kid in then lunchroom or the new kid on the playground. This is the love we are meant to live and give. 

Again... “Weep with those who weep. Rejoice with those who rejoice.” seems to be the scripture of the hour. 

Today, I am grateful for those who sit with the broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment