Monday, December 13, 2021

Clean Spaces

 Daily Gratitude Year 9- Day 347: Today, I am grateful for clean spaces. (This picture is not our home.)

One of the things I've discovered working full time is that keeping a clean house is hard. It is amazing what one day a week did for my soul around the area of organizing my life and my home. I stuff things in places I hope to remember when I go looking for them later. I forget gifts I've purchased ahead of birthdays or Christmas. In my effort to keep things tidy, I lose the clean empty spaces. Eventually, they have to be managed. 

The holidays create mass amounts of stuff. I love the Christmas decorations. They add cheer to the season. But, there are tubs and tubs of stuff! Some stuff is sentimental and kept, even if it isn't on the tree or mantle. The wrapping papers and other supplies can become a part of the mess, too. I am grateful the Love of my Life does most of the wrapping. He is good at it and enjoys it. Somehow, wrapped gifts create a sense of clean and contained clutter... and they look festive under the trees. 

When spaces flow from one into the other, it is easy to gather. We have spent many Thanksgivings at my brother, Matthew's, and my Sister-in-Love, Jennifer's, home. Adding more tables and chairs requires  moving some items to create clean open spaces for large groups of relatives. It is a ton of work before the holiday ever happens. We always try to help and so do a couple of cousins. Somehow, it always works, but I wonder how many items are misplaced in the process never to be found again. 

I've been on a mission of moving and repurposing some spaces and items. We have plenty of home for the two of us. Randy is generous with my need for creative spaces. I have a space for writing, photography and Bible Journaling and another space for paper arts. I do not purge easily. When I am in the mood, he is quick to help. His goal is clean, empty spaces. My goal is organizing. We try to come together in the middle.

Prepping for family gatherings is a happy reason to attack neglected spaces. We want our home to feel cozy, warm and welcoming. A house full of people you love is always a good time. For those who have stayed with us over the years, you know our tagline is "...if you are ever near Morton, there is always room in the inn." We still enjoy visitors. 

I've been thinking about the night Jesus was born. A stable seems too humble for the newborn King. I imagine they cleaned an area of the stable before Mary delivered the baby. She needed a clean open space for the birth and a place to lay the child when He wasn't being held. 

"And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born. She gave birth to her firstborn son. She wrapped him snugly in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no lodging available for them." -Luke 2:6-7

That night, the new mother and new earthly father must have had their hearts and hands full. New babies are kind of overwhelming. And then, the visitors started to arrive, filling the shelter with voices and wonder. Oh, what a night! 

This Christmas season, are we remembering to keep a clean open space for Jesus in our hearts? Honestly, the dirt and dust in the nooks and crannies are already known to Him. He finds no surprises and loves us anyway. He longs to help us reclaim hope. He longs for us to find new life in Him with the freedom that comes with letting go of the guilt and shame and allowing His Light and His Love to spread into our hearts. 

Today, I am grateful for clean spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment