Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Nearer

 

Daily Gratitude Year 9- Day 355: Today, I am grateful we can move nearer.

Our kids... Chase and Emma... just moved back to Morton. I can hardly believe we have our kids living close. It feels like such a gift. To have our kids living in the same town is rare this day in age. So, I will not take it for granted. 

Nearer is better than farther when you love someone. 

C.S. Lewis has a ridiculous command of the language and deep insights. You might say he was a reluctant convert to Christianity. He studied the scriptures looking intently for flaws and untruths. He found himself face to face with the Savior and a choice to make. Lewis chose to draw nearer to the heart of God and God revealed himself to C.S. Lewis in some very special ways. Lewis wrote them down. . 

Nearer

"If you want to get warm you must stand near the fire: if you want to be wet you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into, the thing that has them." -C.S. Lewis 

Read it again and let the words settle. In Him we find joy, power, peace and eternal life. This life is a series of limited breaths. We don't know the last day of our dash. God expects us to make the most of each day we are given. He wants us to draw near to his heart. 

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love." -John 15:9

"Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." -James 4:8 

We are not to be double minded, but deeply focused on Him. 

I am easily distracted. I spend my days multitasking, but there are times I drop the ball... or perhaps I should say balls, as life can be like a juggling act with many balls spinning at once. When one ball gets dropped, it often feels like the others quickly follow. 

When life feels out of control, we are called to "Abide in my love." I once did a word study on abide. Imagine a tea bag steeping in hot water. When we steep ourselves in Him, we find peace and joy. The kind of contentment the world cannot steal. It comes from moving nearer to the heart of the Savior. 

Today, I am grateful we can move nearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment