Saturday, May 6, 2023

Legacy Flowers

 Daily Gratitude-Year Eleven: Day 125- Today, I am grateful for legacy flowers.

What are legacy flowers? They are flowers planted by those who came before us and continue to color our world. 

Twice this week I have been reminded that flowers can continue to bloom long after the ones who planted them are gone. This image is from my friend, Julie Cailteux. Her grandma died when Julie was very small, but every year the flowers she planted return. It is like kisses from heaven, isn't it? 

Then, my friend, Brenda, shared the story of some flowers and bulbs that her mother rescued from the Old State Hospital in Bartonville decades ago. The hospital was closed and the remains of the landscaping were found in a heap of dirt that was destined for anything but glory. She spotted bulbs and rescued them. She gave them a second chance at life. Now, she is passing some of the blooms along to Brenda. 

Today, Brenda shared some of the Mary Todd Lincoln  daylilies and assorted bulbs with me. They will get a third chance at life. The lilies are already in the ground. 

I will, also, replant the seeds from the Zinnia's my lifelong friend, Roxanne, shared with me, too. And then, the Hyacinth Bean Pod Vine seeds from seeds Jill Parod shared many years ago will go in the ground on Mother's Day.  Our yard will be full of flowers with a history, a story, and hope for the future. 

Somehow, the old flowers, bulbs, and seeds are buried and then they spring forth wiht new life. It fills me with wonder. 

In the same way, we are raised to new life in Christ. 

"For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead." -Colossians 2:12

Plant a flower. Share a bloom. 

Today, I am grateful for legacy flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment