Thursday, May 25, 2023

Sage Advice

 

Daily Gratitude-Year Eleven: Day 146- Today, I am grateful for sage advice.

Wisdom is often summed up in a sentence or two. I love this:

Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. -James 1:19 

If it were easy, the relationship experts would have no need to write books. Humans are messy... even when we are trying our best. 

Someone once noted that God created us with two hands, two ears, two eyes, and two feet, but His design only included one mouth and one tongue. What an interesting observation. 

Do I listen quickly? Do we listen with the intention of hearing what another person is saying, or do we listen with the intention of responding?

Am I slow to speak? Not always. 

Am I slow to anger? I try to be. I am intentional, but am often reminded that even when I control my tongue, the Lord knows my thoughts and my heart. That is enough to stop me in my tracks and bring me to my knees.

James is a short five chapter book in the New Testament. It is pretty intense at times. But don't let that scare you. James has been known to cause deep ponderings. It is full of sage advice for the journey here. 

Today, I am grateful for sage advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment