Sunday, May 21, 2023

Posted Warnings

 Daily Gratitude-Year Eleven: Day 142- Today, I am grateful for posted warnings.

Signage is always an added bonus when you are discovering someplace new. Signs can direct our path. Signs can keep us from losing our way. I love a good "posted warning" that allows me to make a better decision. 

The pastor who gave the message this morning referenced C. S. Lewis's , "The Screwtape Letters." This is a quote from the book:

“Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts,...Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape.”

Are there times we miss the posted warnings simply because we refuse to read them? Or, perhaps, we don't take the warnings seriously. I don't swim in the ocean very often, but riptide warnings get my attention when I do. 

Without the posted warnings, we can be caught unaware. With the posted warnings, we can have head knowledge, but if we do not put it into action, it does us no good. Just like in this passage: 

"They heard the alarm but ignored it, so the responsibility is theirs. If they had listened to the warning, they could have saved their lives." -Ezekiel 33:5

Be alert. Read the signs. Heed the warning. 

Today, I am grateful for posted warnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment