Friday, September 15, 2017

Extra Dinner Guests

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 258: Today, I am grateful extra dinner guests. 

Most nights, it is just two of us. My favorite nights... are when we have a full table, complete with stools for extra seating. 

This season of life, it is often only the two of us for the supper meal. In a blink, the boys became men. One of the great memories I have from my childhood was Dad inviting whoever was in the farmyard at mealtime to our table. 

Poor Mama. She typically had little warning. April and I grew attuned to the possibility and would have extra plates and chairs ready to set in place. The thing that I remember most... is that there was always enough. 

My mother learned from her mother the value of a making others feel welcome... planned family and unplanned guest. My grandmother, with seven children... knew how to stretch a meal to feed more. Grandma Opal Maxine was the master at this art. 

Matt and I are fairly sure this is where our love of chips was born. A few bags of chips and a package of hot dogs on hand... Grandma could always feed a few more. 

There was a time... as a teen... I would wonder how my mother was so patient with unplanned guest and her call to stretch her preparations at a moment's notice. Now I know... a full table and surprise guests at mealtime... brought her more joy than distress. 

Saying grace... giving thanks for all of our blessings before a meal... was a simple, sincere way of sharing the gospel message of love. 

"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them." 1 John 4:16

Love lives in full light around the table of a shared meal. Family or stranger, a guest is always welcome. Not to impress, but to fellowship. 

I've often considered this scripture:

"Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2

Set another plate and rejoice in having plenty and enough to share. There is always the possibility of angels in our midst. 

Today, I am grateful for extra dinner guests. 



No comments:

Post a Comment