Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Magic At My Mailbox

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 262: Today, I am grateful the world is full of magic.

"The world is full of magic." -W.B. Yeats

Image from Instagram: Carolyn Gavin
Every day there is magic in my world. It is found at my mailbox. In May, we plant the seeds or the flowers and then we watch them grow. 

Today, they are not at the height of their beauty, but as they fully mature, other magic happens. 


The Hyacinth (Egyptian) Bean Vine's purple flowers are nearly spent and the pretty purple pods are drying out. They have lost some of their beauty, but they hold within them the seeds of next years vines. 

The sedum, I must confess... are not my favorite, but they come up every year with a heartiness I appreciate. The thing about the sudum... butterflies love them. I come home to a flock of butterflies most days in the fall. There is a little magic there, too. How do they fly with such fragile wings? 

My Baby Tut grass (a new addition because I loved the King Tut grass) still shoots whimsical spikes and poofs... looking like Dr. Seuss planted them. I think they resemble fireworks, and it reminds me of the 4th of July... a favorite holiday in our home. 

My aging plants have a glory all of their own as they enter the autumn season. It is no longer, full splendor, but it is still good and full of purpose. With the bean vine... we must wait for the seeds to be ready. To rush it, we would cheat ourselves of next years seeds.

It reminds me of this passage from Psalm 92:13-15 (Amplified Bible):
Planted in the house of the Lordthey will flourish in the courts of our God.  Growing in grace they will still thrive and bear fruit and prosper in old age; They will flourish and be vital and fresh rich in trust and love and contentment;  They are living memorials to declare that the Lord is upright and faithful to His promises; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him. " 

"They will still thrive and bear fruit and prosper in old age." I think this promise comes as a surprise to many. Our souls were meant for eternity. They don't age like these earthly bodies. 

"They will flourish and be vital and fresh rich in trust and love and contentment;"  Own it. Savor it. 



This will always remind me of the year that our sweet friends, Dan and Leona, said "yes" to Wednesday night leadership for the youth. This couple, more mature in years than the grandparents of many of the teens said "YES" to a weekly commitment to teens. 

The teens witnessed a long and loving marriage. Experienced the wit and the wisdom that only the mature can bring to the table. My Walker will never forget it. They knew this couple cared. They didn't climb the rock wall, but they were there cheering them on each step they made. The youth flourished under their care. They planted seeds of faith. They are special to that generation of now young adults. 

"They will still thrive and bear fruit and prosper..."

This promise is fulfilled in the land... and in the people of God. Each season brings about a unique wonder. 

Today, I am grateful the world is full of magic, and I only have to head to the mailbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment