Saturday, April 7, 2018

Number Keepers

Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 97: Today, I am grateful for number keepers.

Numbers are not my favorite. I prefer letters. That is probably no surprise. My Dad, brother, husband, sons, and daughter-in-law are great at numbers, so I was gifted with a great team. Still, I can give you a dozen ways numbers give me troubles... and woes they have caused, but today is not that day. Today, I am grateful for the "number keepers". 

My calendars on the fridge, in my purse, at my desk and one the phone make sure I can always come up with the date and what appointment is next. The alert feature in my cell phone is a luxury that has almost become a necessity. 

Now, when numbers can be used to create stories, I feel differently about them. Percentages and statistics can support or validate evidence in science and in social sciences. There is an old saying, "The numbers don't lie." that some still quote. There are times that numbers are indisputable... but in truth... many numbers can be manipulated to tell the preferred story. 

Dates, times and phone numbers are so easily twisted and turned around. It makes all the ways we have to keep them straight a huge blessing. As I write this daily post, it is easy to mess up the count. Sometimes I forget to change the number day or I skip a day. The Epoch Converter online quickly corrects my human error. It is an other number keeper I rely on daily or weekly. 


I am so grateful that I don't have to keep track of the number of my days. I simply have to be responsible for living each one... to the best of my ability... to His service. The Switchfoot song, "Life is short, I want to live it well." comes to mind. The name of the song is "Live It Well". Here are partial lyrics. 

Life is short; I wanna live it well
One life, one story to tell
Life is short; I wanna live it well
And you're the one I'm living for
Awaken all my soul
Every breath that you take is a miracle
Life is short; I wanna live it well, yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov_lnXy7tkQ

This day is the only number day we can manage at one time. Jesus taught us to pray, "Give us THIS DAY our daily bread." Not tomorrow or next week, but this day. For 40 years, Moses and the Israelites were granted by God their daily bread from heaven. The manna that sustained them was for one day at a time. When they failed to trust God and tried to save it, it spoiled. 

We need to be good stewards with our time, money and other resources, but we need to trust the number keeper. The One who knows the number of stars in the heavens and calls them by name. He is the keeper of our days and our dates. Aren't the best appointments the unexpected "God Appointments" that we don't plan or expect? We can let him keep track of the days so we can savor more moments. 

Job knew great blessings and great suffering. He suffered so much that at one point, he begged for death. But, God was faithful to heal, restore and grant him more than he ever imagined after the suffering was finished. These words are from Job:

Since his days are determined, and the number of his months is with you, and you have appointed his limits that he cannot pass, -Job  14:5

Is that a morbid thought? It depends on how we look at it. I choose to celebrate that only He knows and keeps the number of my days. He gifts me with a new one each morning and I get to choose how to use it up. With joy and service to my King... or living for earthly, fleeting things. Some days, my priorities get mixed up, but his grace is deep and his mercy is wide. 

I am grateful that He is my number keeper and the life giving breath he gave Adam is still being passed on to each one of us today. Our souls are eternal. Our earthly breaths are numbered. He is our number keeper. 

Life is short... we want to live it well. He chooses the number of our earthly days. Our choice determine our eternal destination. Choose him or refuse him. Accept or reject. 

Today, I am grateful for number keepers... and for the true Number Keeper.


No comments:

Post a Comment