Thursday, April 12, 2018

Simple Kindness

Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 102: Today, I am grateful for simple kindness.

I am convinced that simple kindness extended to another is one of the most effective ways to change the world. It can be as simple as holding our tongues or opening a door to let another through. 

Children are not always naturally kind. Like all humans, they will attempt to express dominance over another. Everyone wants to be the boss of something, right? It is crucial that we teach kindness. More importantly, it is important we model kindness. 

One of the activities our youth at church have enjoyed is going out for random acts of kindness. One of the activities is piling into a vehicle and going through local drive throughs and paying for the car behind them. It is fun to know that the next person will receive an anonymous blessing.  

One morning in this past year, I was the recipient of such a gift. What a delightful surprise! All I knew was that the car ahead of me had a military sticker and the vehicle was humble. The line was moving rather slow and I remember intentionally choosing to not be impatient. I had finished one of those fasting labs you have to do for blood work and was on my way to another appointment. I had enough time that I didn't have to let a slow line ruin my mood. 

I remember taking the time to be intentionally grateful that my car was running, the heater worked and I had plenty of fuel. It was better than getting grumpy over a few minutes in line. Then... my order was paid for my be the car ahead of me! Such a simple kindness... under $5 but it changed my day. 

Was it a God wink? I think it was, because impatience can be a real struggle for me.It was an instant affirmation. It made me really consider what mood I would choose the next time I was caught in an unexpected line. Yes friends... we can choose our moods. We can, also, battle to change them. Kindness toward another if good for the giver and receiver. 

Here is a great Old Testament verse on kindness:

And the word of the Lord came to Zechariah, saying, “Thus says the Lord of hosts, Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another, do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart.” -Zechariah 7:8-10 

Jesus reminded us several times that we needed to "Love our neighbors as ourselves." as well as "Love God with all of your hearts". Our treatment of widows and orphans would not go unnoticed by Him. In loving others... we are loving Him, too. 

James wrote these words: 

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. -James 1:27

A simple kindness given. A simple kindness received. Day changers! 

Today, I am grateful for simple kindness



No comments:

Post a Comment