Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Power Portals

Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 114: Today, I am grateful for unusual power portals. 

Isn't portal a great word? We don't use it often in general conversation. My mind always goes to science fiction or grand architecture when I hear the word. 

Here is what Mirriam-Webster has to say:
PORTAL: 1) a door, especially a grand or imposing one.2)the whole architectural composition surround and including the doorways an porches of a church 3)the approach or entrance to a bridge or tunnel 4) a communicating part or area of an organism, specifically the point at which something enters the body. 5) a website serving as a guide or pot of entry to the World Wide Web 

I guess portal is used more often than I realized. Look at this great quote:

"You keep thinking that God is going to use you through your strengths, but the portal to His power is your weakness." - Steven Furtick

Just for kicks... read that quote again. Did it take your breath away the second time? It did mine. Because it is a perfect translation for one of my favorite verses:

"Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." -2 Corinthians 12:8-10

One of the great struggles for man is reconciling God's goodness with the suffering in this world. Sometimes, God says no to earthly healings when they would interfere with a greater work and His big picture. Sometimes the bad things that happen are sin echoes we didn't cause or control, but as long as we live in this life, we are not exempt from troubles. 

Our Father in heaven loves us as we love our children... and even more. It is a deep, strong, tenacious love that will not give up. In free will, sin happens and consequences arise on this earth. His loved and cherished children will experience trials and sufferings, just as Jesus did in his time here in human flesh. But, this is what he did to reverse, conquer and perhaps even taunt Satan in his efforts to discourage believers who face troubles. He gave us this promise:

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”   

Today is the third time a scripture has been put before me in one week's time. I've learned that there is usually a reason; I need to pause and consider it. How did Jesus go to the cross, understanding human fear and pain? I don't know that I can truly understand it, but this passage connects so well:

"And he withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and knelt down and prayed, saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him." -Luke 22:41-43

When we surrender in our weakness, there is a supernatural, mighty God waiting to strengthen us in our weakness. He commands the angels. The same angels who could have rescued him from the cross, strengthened him to endure the suffering, as he fulfilled His mission to rescue us. Talk about "Special Forces". Nails didn't hold him to the cross. Obedience, trust and love kept him there. 

The cross became our portal. Our way to enter into a new reality and new life. A life walking with Him and not running from and rejecting him. The cross is our portal home. Anything that happens in our time here is part of the journey, but it is not our destination. 

Chin up. Adjust your crown or tiara... you are a child of the King. Never forget who you are through him and because of His grace. Our trials and weaknesses on this journey home are power portals. Prayer activates them. Use them often. 

Today, I am grateful for unusual power portals. 









No comments:

Post a Comment