Thursday, April 19, 2018

Post It Notes

Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 109: Today. I am grateful Post-it notes.


What would I do without the wonder working, memory aiding, error covering Post-it note?

They were created in failure... the glue didn't stick. But somehow, what seemed like a failure turned into so much more. 

In 1968, Dr. Spencer Silver, a scientist at 3M in the United States, was attempting to develop a super-strong adhesive. Instead he accidentally created a "low-tack," reusable, pressure-sensitive adhesive. Another scientist  at 3M, Art Fry, was frustrated at choir practice every Wednesday when the pieces of paper he used to mark next Sunday's hymns would fall out. Remembering co-worker Silver's low-tack adhesive, a light went off in his head. 

Silver and Fry worked together. Initially, creating some notes and using them to communicate with each other, long before "texting" and email at work. The signature "canary yellow" color happened because that was the only color of scrap paper available to them at the time when they were testing the new product idea. 

It wasn't long before their little sticky notes were changing the way people communicated in their offices... and then in a few target cities... and now, the world. Honestly, I can't remember life before Post-it notes. 

Post-it notes were born out of Spencer Silver's persistence and Art Fry's out of the box thinking when a situation called for something new. Surely, some laughed at them. Some people always put down others and new ideas. They pressed on, pushed through and in time the goodness was revealed. It wasn't instant or easy... but it was worth it. 

I use Post-it notes to mark pages in music books, my Bible and other books. They can be found on my steering wheel or the back of my phone. They remind me to go somewhere or pick something up. They frame my computer at work with reminders. They help me keep scriptures notes... passages I want to research or journal or simply remember. They display encouraging quotes that lift my spirits and get me through tough days. Post-it notes surround me, go before me, take my place,  hold my place, bear my messages and stick with me. 

Wow! Who new a tiny little sticky piece of paper could be so much like Jesus... and the Holy Spirit? One major difference. A Post-it note leaves no residue... it leave nothing behind. Jesus promised and sent the Holy Spirit and that changed everything.

This passage is  reminder to "stick to it" in our faith walk and not give up. it reminds us to do what we were commissioned to do... daily. I loved "The Message" version. 

If you preach, just preach God’s Message, nothing else; if you help, just help, don’t take over; if you teach, stick to your teaching; if you give encouraging guidance, be careful that you don’t get bossy; if you’re put in charge, don’t manipulate; if you’re called to give aid to people in distress, keep your eyes open and be quick to respond; if you work with the disadvantaged, don’t let yourself get irritated with them or depressed by them. Keep a smile on your face. -Romans 12:6-8 (The Message)

This is a passage I should keep posted and keep nearby. 

Today. I am grateful Post-it notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment