Monday, October 30, 2023

A Good Book

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 303- Today, I am grateful for a good book. 

I have several books going right now. I have one I am reading for work and one for pure pleasure. And, the Bible is a daily read, as it helps make everything else make sense. I love a good book. 

I can barely imagine a time when books were not readily available, but the modern printing press is relatively new. Between the 1830's and the 1930's the advancements in technology changed the availability of books to the common man. Pocket Books was one of the early publishers that brought adventure,  mystery and romance to the general consumer. Can you even imagine it? 

From Bronte and Shakespeare to Agatha Christie, paperback books made literature available to so many more people. Surely, it encouraged people to read more and read better. 

It is noted that Abraham Lincoln was well versed in the "The Bible." A family Bible was likely one of the few books in many homes. Reading it again and again would be natural for those who enjoyed reading. 

One of my favorite scriptures talks about the books that were never written:

 "Jesus also did many other things. If they were all written down, I suppose the whole world could not contain the books that would be written." -John 21:25

I am grateful for books written... and those yet to be penned. 

Today, I am grateful for a good book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment