Monday, October 16, 2023

Wrapped In Friendship

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 289 - Today, I am grateful we can be wrapped in friendship.  

"What do we do when our hearts hurt?" asked the boy.

"We wrap them with friendship, shared tears, and time, till they wake hopeful and happy again." -Charlie Mackesy

I just can't get enough of this cast of characters from Charlie Mackesy. I have not seen a children's book with such wisdom since "Winnie-the-Pooh." We all have times our hearts hurt. 

I am so grateful for the gift of friendship in the good times, but especially in the hard ones. Our friends are the family we choose. And, if we are exceptionally blessed, some of our family turn out to be some of our best friends, too... for a lifetime. I've been blessed with some of the best. 

I love this little cast of characters. The Boy, the Horse, the Fox, and the Mole seem an unlikely crew, but they seem to be better together. 

Isn't that how it is for people, too? Our tribe isn't always people who are just like us. In fact, some of those who are quite different from us are the ones who teach us the most. Our shared experiences are the glue. When one of us is broken, love is the balm and friendship is the bandage that wraps us up until we heal. 

I never tire of this favorite verse. Have you memorized it yet? 

"Rejoice with those who rejoice; weep with those who weep." -Romans 12:15

Today, I am grateful we can be wrapped in friendship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment