Friday, October 13, 2023

Change My Mind

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 286- Today, I am grateful I can change my mind.

There is a very old saying that says, "It is a woman's prerogative to change her mind." 

First of all, the word prerogative is underused. What a great word. It literally implies certain privileges because one belongs to a particular group. In this case, women get to change their minds. 

Does that mean men don't? I hope not. We all learn and grow as we walk through life. It is one of the delights of being human. We get to learn, adapt, and change. 

We have been culturally re-programmed to think that a privilege is always a negative. The sick, the elderly, the young, and the impaired need to be protected by certain privileges. It is how we love and care for them. Trust me, a two-year-old is granted the prerogative to change their mind several times an hour or even at one meal. We cannot always let them have their way, but sometimes... a little grace goes a long way. There is a delicate balance. On the good days, we find it.

In different chapters of our lives what is practical in one season may not fit another. We can change our minds about fashion almost annually. 

We reassess and change our minds about car choices as we go through life. Families used to survive on one vehicle. In Florida, many have one automobile and a golf cart. Some of my friends have traded in their sportier vehicles and have returned to vans to haul the grandchildren. We can change our minds. 

I liked this quote: "May my heart be kind. May my mind be fierce. May my spirit be brave." -Kate Forsyth 

Sometimes, it takes courage to change our minds... and even more to allow our minds to be transformed. We are instructed to allow God, by the Spirit and through His Word, to be the mind-changing force that guides our lives. 

"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." -Romans 12:2

We are born with a desire to have things our way. We fight giving up control and handing it over to the one who wants to fill our lives with a peace the world cannot explain or contain. When we do submit, we wonder why we fought Him so long. It is literally the difference between dog paddling and floating. 

We can fight it... or we can be transformed by the changing of our minds when we believe and receive. 

Today, I am grateful I can change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment