Thursday, October 3, 2024

Old Photographs

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 277: Today, I am grateful for old photographs.

This photo goes back to 2007. How time flies... and drags on all at the same time. Today, My heart is with Timm and family as it marks a year that DeAnn breathed her first breath of Heaven.

I've been looking through her 40th birthday celebration. Timm sent Jill, Kim, DeAnn, and me to Schaumburg for the weekend. He totally surprised her. And sent us armed with gift cards to eat at her favorite places. It was my first Portillo's trip. 

We did the "Mission Impossible" theme and she was truly surprised. Timm rocked it!

We were silly and the laughter never stopped. We acted like girls. These pictures bring back the memories like they were yesterday. Old photographs do that. It makes me understand why painting portraits was so important to people before the invention of the camera and photography. The people we love... the ones woven into the fabric of our lives... can be gone in God's timing... but our hearts are never ready. 

Going through old photographs, I was reminded of the length, depth, and breadth of our friendships. She was one of my first new friends when Chase started Kindergarten in 1996. I was pregnant with Walker. 27 years of PTO, Picture Person Art Adventures, scrapbooking, birthdays, weddings, funerals, her grandbabies, Wednesday night chatting after church, loving Jesus, New Year's Eve shenanigans, savoring her caramels, and watching our children grow into adulthood. What a journey. What a friendship. I am grateful for the photographs. 

Proverbs 17:17 says, "A friend loves at all times." 

She did. We did, too. Love never dies or is replaced, it just lives in a different space. 

Today, I am grateful for old photographs and sweet memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment