Friday, October 11, 2024

Rocking Chairs

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 285: Today, I am grateful for rocking chairs. 

I love a good rocking chair. We have always kept a pair, since the early days of our marriage. We had Rubbermaid in white (think "Little Tikes" for many years. Then we added some wicker furniture with two rockers. 

We have a new outdoor set for the backyard. Randy and Daisy Mae needed a couch. I wanted rockers. Rocking is soul soothing. 

When the boys were babies and needed to be nursed or consoled, the glider rocker was where I would rock them until they fell back to sleep. Sometimes the comforting motion would lull us both to sleep. 

"Anxiety is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you very far." -Jodi Picoult

The soothing rhythm found in rocking helps us to sort through the good and the bad in life. A person can think, rest, and restore in a rocking chair.  

One of the first verses I memorized on my own was this: "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" - Matthew 25:27

Do not fret. Just rock and rest. 

Today, I am grateful for rocking chairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment