Thursday, September 10, 2026

5000 Day Doxology

Daily Gratitude Year 14-Day 253: Today, I am grateful for 5000 days in gratitude.

What was the date 5000 days ago from today? January 1, 2013 is the answer. It was the first day of a personal challenge to post something I am grateful for every day for the month of January. The previous months had some tough stuff, and the winter was still ahead. I do not love winter. At the end of January, I decided to go another month, because I could feel the difference that the simple practice made in my daily life. 

January turned to February... and February into March. I realized by April the power of the simple act of recording thankfulness in the good times... and even more so when it was hard. 

Over the years, it has grown. I started adding favorite quotes, shared images from Pinterest and Facebook, and eventually a scripture on most days, because there always seemed to be a passage that fit the gratitude. His Word really does have something for every day. 

December 31, 2026, will mark the completion of 14 years (5112 days). I always have to make the decision to stop or press on with public sharing. I continue to learn from the daily practice, as it keeps me focused on His faithfulness in all seasons of life... weather seasons and good versus hard times. 

My earliest church memories were at the little Congregational Church in Clifton, IL. Grandpa Lindgren taught us quiet things to do with our hands as he fed us Brach's hard candies to keep us quiet. Mom was at the organ. Dad was often ushering. The service always ended with the traditional Doxology:

 "Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Praise Him all creatures here below. Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts. Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. A-men."

I think that might have been the first seed of thanksgiving that took root in my heart. It was a reminder for all that has breath to give thanks. 

"I will be your God throughout your lifetime— until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you." -Isaiah 46:4

Today, I am grateful for 5000 days in gratitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment