Friday, September 18, 2026

Huffle-Buffs: Old Faves

Daily Gratitude Year 14-Day 261: Today, I am grateful for "huffle-buffs."

Huffle-Buffs (Scots) those old, worn out, yet comfortable items of clothing. 

Finding new words always feels like finding hidden treasure. This one has Scottish origins. It is an old Scots dialect word.

I've seen it used to describe clothing, but blankets, too. For me, it would especially work for some old coats and favorite shoes. I did my part to keep Fred's Shoe Repair in business when it was a convenient drop off in Peoria. Fred would always start with "this is the last time we can repair these boots or shoes." I knew he was right, but it was hard. He was gentle and seemed to understand. That final warning gave me time to start looking for the right replacement. 

I think the huffle-buffs are the things that by the time you are ready to part with them, you would be embarrassed to donate them. They are cozy, comfy, and spark sweet memories. Just writing about them makes me smile. 

"But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." -1 Timothy 6:8

To be comfortable and content is as good as it gets. 

Today, I am grateful for "huffle-buffs."

No comments:

Post a Comment