Friday, April 22, 2016

Dozens



Year 4-Day 113: Today, I am grateful for the "dozens".

A dozen usually makes us think of eggs. Donuts. Most baked goods are sold in dozens. 12 or a "Baker's dozen" makes 13. I have dozens of cousins!

When the rest of the world is on a metric system, we continue with a duodecimal system in the USA, based on 12. I remember being told we would be full metric by the time I was "grown up".  I must still be in my youth. :) We still have inches, feet, yards ounces, pints, quarts and gallons. 

There are 12 hours in the AM and 12 hours in the PM. Each one is precious.  

The youth at church would always enjoy discussions on the numbers God used that seemed to be His favorites. 12 is in the mix. 

Twelve tribes of Israel.
Twelve stones for remembrance.
Twelve years was the reign of several kings.
Twelve disciples walked with Jesus daily.
Jesus was twelve when he amazed the temple leaders with his wisdom.

Twelve is in many miracles. Twelve baskets to feed 5000. Twelve years of menstruation before touching Jesus garment hem in faith. Jarius' dead daughter was twelve years old...and Jesus raised her back to life. 

In Gethsemane, on the night he was taken prisoner, Jesus stated that he could call 12 legions of angels if he desired and they would come: 

52 Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword. 53 Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?” -Matthew 26:52-54

Twelve. Was it just the first number that popped into his head? I don't know. Note how he never loses focus of his mission...and that the scriptures need to be fulfilled. 

In Acts 19- twelve men are filled with the Holy Spirit.
Revelation is full of "twelves". 

I don't like math...but I am fascinated with number patterns. Twelve is more than donuts, eggs and cupcakes. Although...when I have no idea "what's for dinner?" - a dozen eggs can save the day!

Today, I am grateful for the "dozens".



No comments:

Post a Comment