Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Great American Farmer

Year 4-Day 109: Today...I am grateful to find "The Great American Farmer" on YouTube and this image posted by my cousin Debbie Hanson Cyr

A weekend home makes me sentimental. Sitting with family on the patio ... it was an evening was full of smiles, celebrating Mom's birthday, laughter and some clay pigeons who were apparently "in season" added to the entertainment. Country fun at it's finest. 

On Sunday, my cousin Debbie posted the image above. The verse struck a chord. Dad, Grandpa, uncles and neighbors filled their days with dirt, livestock, tractor tinkering, grain bins, strong coffee and a genuine concern for neighbors and the land. Nothing smells like fresh tilled dirt.

Then, my mind wandered to an old song. "The Great American Farmer". Jennifer Hanson-Lindgren...I bet Matthew remembers this song. We received it from the John Deere dealer, it was part of a marketing campaign in 1976 as part of the Bi-Centennial. It was Matt's favorite song for years. We played it over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NziMtQoz9Y

I know...an old recording and a little corny...but it touched the hearts of farm families across the land. I am grateful to hear it one more time.

When Paul is looking for examples of hard work and diligence to duty, he describes soldiers, athletes and farmers. I love it!

"An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. 6 It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. 7 Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything."- 2 Timothy 2:5-7

I am grateful for a musical walk down memory lane... and the reminder of the men of character who work the land to feed the world. My friend Lana Frake reminded me that her father always said, "If you are going to complain about the farmers, don't talk with your mouth full!"

No comments:

Post a Comment