Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Reflection




Year 4-Day 104: Today, I am grateful for reflection.

Not for my reflection in the mirror. (Good grief...not at this wee hour of the morning)
Not on all I have or have not accomplished. 
Not to count my countless shortcomings and failures.

I am grateful for the reflection...the 20/20 rear view mirror of my life... as His plan and His strength carry me through. 

Up until recently, my favorite Mary Engelbreit print was of the girl standing at a crossroad that bore two direction signs. "Your life" and "No longer an option". How I have loved and treasured this reminder that once a decision is made, we must then make the best of it.  Sometimes there is no purely right or certainly wrong.  Sometimes, they are nearly equal and we must simply choose. Then...own the choice.

Our choice is the special power God gave to humans. Free will.  What a crazy gift. How many ways have I brought shame to Him through that gift.  Still...He never abandons or fails his children. Never.

The courage to face this day...every day... comes from experience.  The power comes when we plug in to the power source. The power cord is prayer. His light...it never ceases to amaze me. He shines it into all of our days.  Especially, the dark ones. 

He becomes the mirror. 

"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. 25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing." James 1:22-25

At daybreak...when I look into the mirror...there is great need for improvement.  

When I look into His Word, it becomes a mirror to guide and light my steps. In it there is perfect law, wondrous  freedom, encouragement to press on, and challenges.  

At sunset...the mirror reflects some success and some failure...but I  can wash my face in the basin of His grace! 

Today, I am grateful for reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment