Thursday, July 13, 2017

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

Year 5 - Day 194: Today, I am grateful we are all "fearfully and wonderfully made". 

New babies always bring me to think on this verse:

I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. -Psalm 139:14

The NLT translation uses the word "complex" instead of fearfully. 

Here it is from "The Voice":

"I will offer You my grateful heart, for I am Your unique creation, filled with wonder and awe. You have approached even the smallest details with excellence; Your works are wonderful; I carry this knowledge deep within my soul. -Psalm 139:14

Now, I ask the big question, "Why do we try so hard to fit in when we were born to stand out?" The question is inspired by a Dr. Seuss quote. The image was on Pinterest with no artist credit. It had a statement attached. "I've never wanted to be in a gang. I want to be in this gang." I laughed out loud.

Look at the wonderfully woolly group in this pack. From llama to the feathery rooster, they are each unique and beautiful. They have complex designs and things that make them quirky in the animal kingdom. I am sure the animals delight our God. They delight us. 

We are his most unique creation, because we were created in His image.  When we embrace, relish and savor the differences between us, we are honoring the Father's masterpiece. Designed to be different. Created for community. 

The most beautiful places in the world are where cultures collide and reside together in harmony. There is so much we can learn from each other.

I have a weird quirk. Sometimes, my thoughts rhyme.  

When the heart of Jesus we choose to chase, 
Our fellow man we learn to embrace.
We love Christ best, 
When our comfort is stretched.
Our prayer ought to be 
"Don't make them like me, 
Make me like You 
So I can see them, too."

That sums it up in a nutshell. I have this short prayer that Andy Stanley taught. I wrote it in my bible: "Lord, help me to see what you see, and do what you want me to do." 

The next time I am challenged by differences in personalities or any other unique threads God designed into another human being, I need to remember that prayer. I need to teach it to those who have me as a part of their world. 

Embrace the quirks. 

Today, I am grateful we are all "fearfully and wonderfully made". 




No comments:

Post a Comment