Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Poetry

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 318: Today. I am grateful for poetry. 

I love poetry. The kind with rhythm and rhyme and the kind that uses language and words as art. 

Dr. Seuss was my first favorite author. Agnes Dipesto, in the TV series Moonlighting (1985-1989), may be my all time favorite supporting character. 

Poetry is where language and music collide. 

Did you know that Psalm 119 is an acrostic poem in the original language? There are twenty-two stanzas, one for each successive letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Each of the eight verses within each stanza begins with the Hebrew letter named in its heading. I find reading it more of a prayer than a poem. 

This verse was my verse of the day today and I delight in the seeds of hope it plants and breathes into this day. 

As pressure and stress bear down on me, I find joy in your commands. -Psalm 119:43

The cure for managing pressure and stress... take joy in His commands. 

If you struggle with prayer, grab a Bible and pray Psalm 119. I think every soul will find it applicable. The NLT version is so modern in the language that it hits the mark for me. 

Honestly, God doesn't require fancy prayers. He wants us to seek his face with honest words from open hearts. Children's prayers surely tug at his ear because they are simple and open. Prayer is communication with our creator and King. I wonder why it is so easily neglected? 

The psalms can be read as prayers. They add the element of praise and adoration that Jesus modeled in the Lord's prayer. 

Yes... Psalm 119 is a beautiful poem to pray. 

Today. I am grateful for poetry.


No comments:

Post a Comment