Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Prepared Places

Daily Gratitude Year 7- Day 358: Today, I am grateful for prepared places.


Today, all across the world, there were people preparing places. Tables were set, chairs were added and counters cleared to make room for the guests, the food and the gifts. Some will gather on Christmas Eve... and others on Christmas Day. Some will celebrate for days and into the weekend. Wherever there are celebrations... there are places being prepared. 
Image result for Christmas prepared places
I am reminded of the magnitude of the gift of the Christ child. God and man living in one flesh. Humanness and holiness with one heartbeat. It is truly awesome and a bit beyond my comprehension, but my heart as learned to trust the things I do not fully understand through intellect. Faith is, indeed, being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. 

Mary's womb was a prepared place.
Elizabeth's home was a prepared place for a young, pregnant virgin to find sanctuary.

Joseph's dreams were prepared places where angels spoke and Joseph listened.
Bethlehem... means "house of bread". It was the place prepared in advance for the "Bread of Life". Here is one scripture that frames the purpose of Jesus's mission. 

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. -John 6:35-38

The innkeeper's inn was full, but a stable was offered. A prepared place for the birth of the child. The openness of the stable allowed visitors to come. The shepherds didn't have to knock on the innkeeper's door. 

On this Christmas Eve, do we remember to prepare a place in our hearts and in our homes for Jesus? I love Simeon's response to seeing Jesus at the temple when Joseph and Mary presented him there. Here is what Simeon said: 

“Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,you may now dismiss your servant in peace. For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all nations: a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of your people Israel.” -Luke 2:29-32

I love the hope, the celebration and the wonder in Simeon's response. He was waiting on the Messiah. He did not miss him. He paused to take it all in. The temple was not really prepared to receive the holy child, but Simeon's heart was confident in his declaration. 

As we remember that night so long ago, we can prepare our hearts to receive his grace, mercy and love. 

Today, I am grateful for prepared places.

No comments:

Post a Comment