Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Limiting Our Fears

Year 8-Day 113: Today, I am grateful we can limit the power of fear.

Sometimes, I need a little Bob Goff to brighten my day.(I need to remember to pray for his sweet wife Maria, as she has her hands full with him.) If you've not read "Love Does" and "Everybody, Always" use this time of quarantine to read something that will brighten your day and lighten your soul. 

Early this morning, a group of friends gathered online for prayer. One friend shared this passage: 

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. -Romans 15:13

Good stuff, right? We are living in a time when fears are high and solutions seem limited or unknown. For many, it is easy to feel hopeless and helpless, if we forget the source of our peace and joy. 

I am not minimizing those who have ill loved ones. I ache for families...  including ours ...  with family members who have compromised immune systems or with other health issues. This all feels so scary at times. It is hard to be with people who are hurting when we are, literally, not allowed to be "with people". This is the strangest season.

Later, another friend from my morning prayer group shared this image because she knows I love Bob's books. She shared the image with this quote:

"Fear only has the power we give it. Hope works in the same way."  - Bob Goff

I am absolutely aware that God speaks through His Word, His children and His Holy Spirit. Still, it makes my senses come fully alive when it happens.The good kind of chills, right?  

Interestingly enough... I could not find one other passage where the exact words "God of Hope" is used. The timing was perfect. (Try it. Do a search with quotations around "God of Hope") So,what were the odds of these this quote and scripture coming together today? I'm not a mathematician, but I bet pretty slim, but we have a big God who has his hand on our circumstances. 

We are told that the "God of Hope" is ready to fill us up with something better than fear. Joy and peace. When we are full of joy and peace, there is less room for fear. The power of the Holy Spirit is greater than anything we have to face today, tomorrow or the next day. 

Hope, also, has the power we give it. We can choose hope over fear. 

Today, I am grateful we can limit the power of fear.



No comments:

Post a Comment