Thursday, April 30, 2020

Old Songs

Year 8-Day 121: Today, I am grateful for old songs.

Year 8... and I am pretty sure this is a first. WHAT? How can it be? I love old songs. They take us back to a time, a place, a feeling... a moment. There are some people I still think of because of a song. 

Mary Wood... a sweet friend from high school had this resonate voice. "June Is Busting Out All Over" is "her song" although there was a whole chorus of dancers. Kristin Knief Ahrens... you are my "Big Spender" partner and we dance to it in my Zumba class... and "It Might Be You" from Tootsie.  Dale Hoogstraat... I believe "Hello Again" was our song. Steve Odette... "The One You Love" was a sweet dance at the end of a fun season as "husband and wife". Kelly Cawthon Berry... so many are you. "You'll Never Walk Alone", "Sunrise Sunset" and "Rainy Days and Mondays". Lana Frake and Sally Sweeney Rosenboom... "I Will Survive" and Meatloaf's "Bat out of Hell" album. Seriously, there are so many songs that take us back to a place of sweet comfort. Amy Grant and BJ Thomas... I knew every word of so many of their Contemporary Christian albums. 

The longest list would be those shared with The Love Of My Life. He is my person. He has been for so many years... and each year those old songs grow a little sweeter. "You're the Inspiration", "Life in a Northern Town", "There is Love" and so many more. Each season together has a list. "Don't Wake Up the Baby" and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" reflect unique seasons. I am so grateful we can share old songs at any time. 

When I hear those songs today, I still smile and think of the places and the people. 

It is one of the seasons when we need to step back and plug in the old songs. 

They didn't have radios in the days of King David, but I am sure he used songs for comfort in the same way he used his music to calm King Saul when he was a boy. 

"My heart is confident in you, O God;no wonder I can sing your praises with all my heart! Wake up, lyre and harp!  I will wake the dawn with my song.I will thank you, Lord, among all the people.I will sing your praises among the nations." -Psalm 108:1-3

Every old song was once a new song. My favorites are never far from my memory. They are always a comfort. I've listened to several while writing this. 

What are the old songs that bring you back to a sweet and comfortable place? Enjoy a few today. 

Today, I am grateful for old songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment