Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Skin That Didn't Fit

Year 8-Day 98:Today, I am grateful for skin that didn't fit. 

Don't you love shoes that fit in a way that allows for comfort and purpose? How about a soft pair of jeans that fits like a glove? And that ever illusive perfect fitting swimsuit? We all love items that are a "good fit". 

As I was contemplating some items in my closet I need to give up... because they don't fit quite right anymore, I came upon this verse in my inbox:

"Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form," -Philippians 2:7

I was suddenly filled with awe. What I know intellectually... somehow felt different wrapped up in the common analogy of misfitting clothes. Jesus chose our inferior human form so that he could know what it was like to be one of us. Our skin didn't really fit His deity and His Holiness... but he chose to wear it to save our skins... literally and spiritually. 

As I was looking up the Philippians verse, I had one of those moments when I KNOW He is guiding my hand. This was the "Verse of the Day" at Biblegateway. It connects the dots and lands the plane:

"My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me".-Galations 2:20

Because Jesus took on our human skin to be the offering for our sin pardon, we, too, can invite His Spirit to reside in us, so we no longer feel bound to this earth. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust. We can love the earth and care for it as He instructed, but our souls belong to Him. 

When we abide in Him... it is absolutely normal to feel like aliens in our own skin. Our desires change. How we spend our day changes. We live to love, serve and share the wonder and miracle of new life in Christ. 

Who knew there could be a gratitude lesson in a closet cleaning?

Today, I am grateful for skin that didn't fit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment