Saturday, April 25, 2020

Rest For The Soul

Year 8-Day 116: Today, I am grateful for rest for the soul. 


"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that is tired." -unknown

Our souls are what separates us from the animals God created. He spoke the word and creation came to life and it was good. He created so many living, breathing things, but His breath... He only gave his breath to man. Isn't that something to ponder? 

God breathed into us. 

Then the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground. He breathed the breath of life into the man’s nostrils, and the man became a living person. -Genesis 2:7

What makes that so important? I am not a trained theologian, but I've read the scriptures long enough to know that they illuminate and support each other. God's breath is pretty important. When he speaks, we had best listen. When he whispers... we should tremble with that holy fear that speaks volumes about relationship. 

Remember when you were little? When your parents spoke, you knew you should listen even though there were times we didn't. When they whispered, we stood at attention. 


I love this passage where Jesus speaks to us about the burdens we insist on carrying when he is willing to trade the load:

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”-Matthew 11:28-30

My family and friends trade the load with me all the time. They know I have some physical limitations. They offer to take the load so I don't injure myself. It is humbling and I don't relish not being able to physically carry the heavy load I once could. But, I have learned some soul deep lessons. When someone really loves you, they are willing to trade the burden for your good. Not for your glory, but for your good. 

What is hard for us to carry, he takes on without any struggle. Why do we fight to keep our burdens? Why do wait until the point of soul exhaustion before we turn it over to the one who is eager to ease our struggles? Human pride gets in the way. 

Note that Jesus says, "The burden I give you is light. " He offers humbly and gently to give us rest. He pours light into our lives and lightens our load. That, my friends, is how a soul is refreshed and a spirit renewed. 

It is how a soul finds rest... and a good night's sleep. 

Today, I am grateful for rest for the soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment