Thursday, April 16, 2020

The Space In-between

Year 8-Day 107: Today, I am grateful for the space in-between the stimulus and response. 

I read the book "Man's Search for Meaning" in college for a class. I probably need to re-read it someday, but this quote was my favorite: 

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.” ― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

He, also, said:

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is a power to chose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." -Viktor E Frankl 

The man survived a Nazi concentration camp. He lost his family. He lost everything. He refused to surrender his soul and his dignity. Some call it courage. He calls it a choice. 

The apostle Paul give the perfect example of this kind of choice in one of my all-time favorite passages. 

"For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die.  For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better." -Philippians 1:21-22

As my sweet Mama Ina Mae lives with joy in the midst of Huntington's Disease and my treasured brother-in-law, Monte, battles cancer again... they both have amazing attitudes and peace in their souls. They both know who holds their tomorrows. They trust His hand and His plan. It is humbling to watch them walk in the space in-between the stimulus and the response. It is sacred, holy ground, because they know they are never alone. They have a freedom in knowing however the day ends... they win. 

Today, I am grateful for the space in-between the stimulus and response.


No comments:

Post a Comment