Thursday, April 9, 2020

Truth Revealing Questions

Year 8-Day 100:Today, I am grateful for truth revealing questions.

I enjoyed good conversation today with one of our pastors. He checked in on us regarding the quarantine isolation. Talk with Tom is always easy. He is a natural listener, gentle and a lifelong learner.  

He is one of those people you love digging into a topic with because he doesn't already know his answer when the conversation starts. He is as eager to learn as he is to teach. Critical thinking is more fun with friends. As Mama Ina Mae says,"Learn something new every day." 

It is Maundy Thursday. The night we remember Jesus "Last Supper" with his disciples. Most of us see Leonardo Da Vinci's painting when we imagine the last supper. It is an artist's rendering, but has become the "snapshot" we see when we read the scriptures about that evening. 

Jesus was famous for asking revealing questions. One of my favorite recordings of this character trait was when he asked the disciples, "Who do you say that I am?" It was Peter who boldly responded: 

 "Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” - Matthew 16:15-16

While others danced around the question, Peter's response was bold and held his deep conviction. I do love Peter's passion and persistence! 

As they shared the evening Passover meal, Jesus told them that one of them would betray him. While some flat out denied the possibility, others seemed more in touch with their human weaknesses. That night, Peter and the other disciples asked the revealing questions, hoping Jesus would relieve their concerns and ease their minds. 

Jesus knew. Judas knew. Still, he did not give them a direct answer.  He let them ponder it and work it out for themselves. 

"In the evening Jesus arrived with the Twelve. As they were at the table eating, Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, one of you eating with me here will betray me.” Greatly distressed, each one asked in turn, “Am I the one?”"-Mark 14:17-19

As we look toward Good Friday, each of us will wrestle with how we see the cross. I used to hesitate to wear a cross, because I didn't want to shame it with my imperfect ways. I always feared being a "bad Christian" and a bad example. The truth is, none of us are good. Only Jesus is perfect and holy. I shared this hesitancy with a smart friend who replied that I might be better served to think of the cross as a price tag. I've re-framed my thinking ever since. 

Only our God could take a man-made Roman instrument of punishment and death and turn it into a symbol of redemption, propitiation and hope. In his perfect plan, he had Jesus identified in all three of the common languages of the day, so anyone who looked at him would know who he was in their own language. 

 And Pilate posted a sign on the cross that read, “Jesus of Nazareth,the King of the Jews.”  The place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and the sign was written in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek, so that many people could read it. John 19:19-20 

King of the Jews... but he was hanging there for the Romans, the Greeks and any who dared to look on his sacrifice and call him Lord. 

He still requires each of us to respond to the same question he asked His disciples;
"Who do you say that I am?" It is a revealing question as we look at Good Friday more than 2000 years later. 


Today, I am grateful for truth revealing questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment